Site Content

Workers' Compensation

 Florida law states that workers' compensation insurance is required when a business has four or more employees, either full- or part-time.  Construction businesses are required to carry workers' compensation insurance for every employee, including contractors. 



Workers'  Compensation insurance pays for all reasonable and necessary medical  care related to your on-the-job injury or illness including:

  • visits to an approved doctor (chiropractic visits may be limited)
  • surgery (and home nursing services when necessary)
  • hospital care
  • dental care
  • prescription drugs
  • braces and crunches
  • other medical supplies when ordered by your approved physician.


If  your earnings are lower because of a work-related injury or illness, you  may be able to receive some cash benefits (indemnity benefits). You may  be eligible for these benefits if you have been out of work for more  than seven (7) calendar days on the advice of your approved doctor and  one of the following is true:

  • You are unable to return to work as a result of the accident.
  • You are able to work but because of your injury you earn wages less than 80% of what you earned before your injury.
  • Your  doctor says you will have a permanent loss of a bodily function as a  result of your injury. (This is called permanent impairment).

These  payments can help you through the period of time you are disabled from  your workplace injury or illness.


If,  as a result of your work injury or illness, you cannot earn wages  similar to those you earned before your injury, you may qualify to  receive reemployment services. The goal of these services is to help you  return to work as soon as you can. The types of services you may  receive will vary depending upon the date you were injured or became  ill. They may include:

  • Help in writing resumes
  • Vocational testing and counseling to help identify employment options
  • Help in finding a job
  • Training and education if needed for you to be able to return to work

For  more information about reemployment services, please contact the  Rehabilitation and Medical Services Office closest to you. There is a  listing of these offices at the end of this article. 


If  you have a permanent disability and are unable to return to your  regular job because of a workplace injury or illness, you may be  eligible to receive a Preferred Worker Card. The card will tell a future  employer about financial benefits for the employer that come from  hiring you. This may make it easier for you to get a job.


Hablamos Espanol